Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Would you use SD-Mobile on Android devices?

Android based SD-Mobile   11 votes

1. 1. Would you use SD-Mobile on Android based tablets?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Rossware Users!

How many of you would use Android based tablets for SD-Mobile? Let's hear your opinion to see if there truly is a market for Android SD-Mobile.

Cheers,

Aaron

Posted

There's a lot of facets to an answer for that, I think. I don't think I'd recommend it for our company, if I was asked an opinion.

1) Simplicity. iOS beats Android here. TL;DR: iOS is super simple to use out of the box, Android (can be) super simple to break.

iOS is (as a staunch Android user) a far simpler platform for those who may not be so inclined to newer technology to use. Apple was aiming for that simplicity when they built it, and in that aspect it's a great platform. It's (relatively) hard to break an iOS device (software wise, not physically).

Android (and this is my opinion) is more for users who read ServiceDesk warnings like "WE ARE SURE THIS IS SO OBVIOUSLY WRONG, BUT IF YOU REALLY INSIST, CLICK OK" and go 'Relax, man, I got this.' We know what we're getting into, we read the whole message, and we're intentional because we know what we're doing with it. There's a lot of options and changeable functionality within Android, lots of opportunity to get into a menu you didn't intend to, and suddenly you've bricked your device in the field or some other issue you can't square away easily.

2) Android version inconsistency/support across hardware platforms is a problem for lots of people, including app developers (and users, and cell carriers, and manufacturers etc etc). TL;DR: Someone's Android device will be too old to work with current version Rossware, they'll be forced to spend money to upgrade, and they won't be happy about it. This can happen much more frequently with Android than iOS.

There's so many Android devices designed and produced so quickly that (while I'm not a coder whatsoever, but a little more tech-savvy than the average bear), I imagine there will be a time when the current SD-M Android version won't work with a previous/older Android version. Inevitably, a Rossware client will not be updated out of the older version of Android, and their hardware platform won't ever support. My older Motorola Razr Maxx HD was never going to be supported beyond Android 4.2, while SD-M will probably be built upon 5.0+ for example. This will force the client to update their hardware to continue to use SD-M-Android, which is an additional expense and a chunk of admin work to get sorted out. The first time a client runs into this will be the last time they use Android (they have enough to worry about with running their company), and your user base for an Android version may shrink to 'Why bother?' levels for you all in Shelton.

3) What I call Grandparents Syndrome, and sort of ties back into point #1. TL;DR: You can load up on malware easier with Android than with iOS, if you're not careful and conscious of it.

The Google Play market has historically been filled with a lot more malware that a user can get into, slow down their device, eat bandwidth, and generally be a PITA. It's gotten better but it's still a problem. The App Store still has a much tighter reign on it's software, it's API, and vetts apps more thoroughly it seems than Google Play. Inevitably, a user will get into these bits of malware, even if it's a work device and they have no business downloading a maliciously look-alike of Candy Crush Saga. 

Why is it called Grandparents Syndrome? A lot of us now have memories where we've gone over to Grandma's house, and after spewing the always offered orange juice across the keyboard when we spot the AOL ONLINE icon... we find a task manager list that is horrifying. All sorts of crap is running, hogging resources, being part of a botnet etc. Android can be more susceptible to this than iOS because the apps are more prolific on Android than iOS.

4) Tying back to #2 a little as well, if users are already deployed on iOS, you'd have to provide a significant advantage to swapping hardware/platform to Android and triggering the expense/time it takes to do so. TL;DR: No, that's the total of the point. 

Sorry for the huuuuuge post, and any grammar issues. Written between submitting claims etc, lots of task switching and so on!

PS: I am a HUGE Android fanboy. Motorola/Android hardware every smart phone since 2005. I love Android, but I know what I'm doing with it, I know how much more complex it can be. I think iOS is flat out a better platform for a business solution where simplicity and streamlining is more important.

Posted

My office ordered an IPad Air and had me test for our service company and I agree that IOS is easier for most than android but I have to use a lot of screen over screen applications to order parts and so forth. I just feel that android would be better for this. May be wrong but I am really looking forward to trying it. 

Posted

Thanks Kevin.  Hearing from more of you about SDM on the Android platform helps us to decide where we need to take SDM in the future.

Posted

i would love to see android the editing is more pc like also multi windows browsing better on andr0dd then on ios .but if sd-pix can be intergrated into pc version then win pad will be better

Posted

Bigmosh That sounds like a great suggestion.  I know there has been some conversation about SD-QuickPic on windows phones but it is not a big Market Share.  But the idea of putting it on the Tablet Devices that is one I haven't been a part of any discussion.  So I will pass it on.

Posted

Sorry about the late post. I would really love an Android version of this. I hate my iPhone and i hate iOS. I prefer PC over Mac and I prefer Android over iOS for the same reasons. Affordability and flexibility are what makes Android a better option for the IT savvy users. Apple is great if you really have no interest in how things work. Android devices are more easily maintained and easier to integrate with the rest of the hardware already in place in most businesses. PLEASE MAKE AN ANDROID VERSION ASAP. 

IF I HAVE AN IPHONE FOR WORK I FIND MY SELF LEAVING IT IN THE TRUCK AND USING MY PERSONAL ANDROID PHONE INSTEAD BECAUSE ITS FASTER AND MORE RELIABLE. 

Posted

I know I'm a little late to the game, but I would really like to see an Android version of SD-Mobile and I'll give you some reasons why.

1. Cost of Tablet - There are a lot of android tablets that cost way less then an iPad. It's hard to justify buying an expensive tablet just for work. And it's going to be in some pretty rough environments. Why would I want to put my expensive tablet in harms way.

2. Usability - Okay so this one is more personal preference, but there are a number of apps that can change the layout of the apps and what not to look like IOS. With android I am not tied down to iTunes or having to use iCloud to get to my pictures. I can just plug my Android tablet into my computer and drag and drop any pictures I need. And I can put pdfs, videos, etc on my Android tablet no questions asked. And side note, Samsung's new HASS system works only on Android at the moment, so you could have everything for the job on one unit.

3. Programming - Unfortunately I am not a programmer (wouldn't be here if I was) so I can't really tell you which is best to program for. But I have done a little research and one guy has this to say. "What I can tell you is that Objective-C/Swift and Java are not worlds apart. If you’re used to developing in one, then transitioning to the other shouldn’t be too jarring. Both are object oriented and a fair amount of the structure is similar." So developing for Android shouldn't be to difficult.

4. Advertising - You would then be able to appeal to a much larger market. In my opinion, having both apps shows you are dedicated to the development and growth of your product.

Android has changed quite a bit since the original post was posted. It is extremely new user friendly and doesn't lock you down to just using Apple based products.

Thanks,
C.J. the Appliance Tech

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/developing-for-android-vs-ios-697304/